Career advice for someone considering fire alarm tech work

Open forum for questions from the general public (property managers, resident managers, strata owners, etc.) relating to fire prevention & fire protection issues. Advertising of services is prohibited.
Forum rules
Blatantly advertising your services is strictly prohibited. Violators will be banned from posting. Identification with a company engaged in providing fire equipment service is encouraged in order to validate responses (i.e. a "tag line" which states your name, company's name and contact information is allowed).
Corndog

Career advice for someone considering fire alarm tech work

Post by Corndog » Fri May 09, 2014 11:54

Hi, I'm looking for advice or opinions of experienced fire alarm techs.

My background:
- Diploma of Technology, Electronics, from BCIT
- almost a journeyman electrician, all schooling complete, need just under 200 hours of work before my work requirements are complete
- have credit for three out of five of the CFAA courses
- currently working on the remaining two CFAA courses
- have installed fire alarm systems as an apprentice electrician, including conduit, wiring, mounting devices, troubleshooting, testing
- lots of programming experience outside of fire alarm systems

I'm wondering if my background in electrical/electronics would have significant value in the fire alarm industry? I'm considering switching to fire alarm work full-time because I enjoyed it as an apprentice and was complimented on my work often by foremen. I have a lot of electronics and electrical troubleshooting experience and could fix problems quickly.

I'm also unsure about the process of getting ASTTBC certification. It seems there's nothing I can do by myself to get ASTTBC certification. From what I've found so far, I need to work for a technician who is already certified. What is the process for certification and how long does it typically take to receive full certification?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

FIRETEK
Site Admin

Re: Career advice for someone considering fire alarm tech wo

Post by FIRETEK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:16

The various disciplines within ASTTBC Fire Protection Technician program require you to maintain a log book detailing your work experience. Part of the information ASTTBC needs to officially register you as a "trainee" within a discipline is your employer's information. The RFPT supervising your progress also has to sign off on your log book. More information regarding the program can be found at http://www.fireprotection.asttbc.org. Good luck!
Frank Kurz
https://firetechs.net
+1 (888) 340-3473